Fleets and drivers are being urged to think ahead about what documentation is needed when taking a vehicle abroad following the publication of further guidance by the government ahead of the UK’s departure from the EU on March 29.

As Theresa May continues negotiations with the EU in an attempt to secure a departure deal, the Department for Transport has published information on:

  • Driving licence requirements
  • International Driving Permits (IDP)
  • Vehicle number plates
  • National identifiers (eg: a GB sign and a European Union flag)
  • Vehicle registration documents
  • Vehicle insurance requirements and Green Cards
  • Road traffic crashes in the European Union involving UK residents
  • EU drivers visiting or living in the UK after Brexit

All the details are available here

Drivers of leased and rented vehicles also have an obligation to obtain a VE103 certificate from their hire or lease company before taking their vehicle overseas. It is essential documentation that proves drivers have permission to drive the vehicle. Without it, drivers could be subject to delays at the border, or in the worst instance, have their vehicle impounded.

IDPs are now only available in person from 2,500 Post Offices and are a likely requirement if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. An IDP costs £5.50.

The AA has warned that without a postal application service, companies with numerous drivers heading overseas may need to queue and wait alongside other Post Office customers.