The Department of Transport has published guidance on what private and commercial drivers from the UK may need to do to drive abroad when the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019.

The guide states that from 28 March 2019, drivers from the UK will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA.

This includes registering certain trailers with the DVLA and carrying a trailer registration certificate.

In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, which is a distinct possibility following the historic government defeat inflicted on Prime Minister Theresa May’s deal earlier this month, drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA.

The UK currently issues two types of IDP to UK licence holders who are resident in the UK, while a third type will be added from March 28, 2019. Which IDP is required depends on the country/countries driving in. The Department for Transport in its guidance said it was important for UK drivers to “check which type of IDP was needed to ensure the correct documentation for travels”.

Further information on IDP is available here or to find out more on preparing to drive in the EU post Brexit, visit